Friday, August 21, 2009

Here I go again on my own

Time keeps on ticking, ticking, ticking...into the future.
I am no nearer reaching a conclusion on what to write about for my final write-up. In an older post I discussed what had been the most troubling thing for me; that is most likely what I will end up writing about. Although, that seems more like a study in society than it does a study in medications and pharmaceuticals, although I guess it still qualifies if I use my Pharm data as supporting evidence for my claims.
(Sorry if my sentences don't make much sense, I worked last night and then slept until 3 today, that kind of messes with your head. Also, anyone interested in industrial music should check out this band that I found on youtube.com the other day. I am listening to it right now, good stuff!)
So, that is where I am at on that account. IRB approval is grinding along slowly. Maybe the woman I talked to about the finance review is on vacation or something. Doesn' really matter because I am done collecting surveys, now it is all about writing the paper.

Today, however, I am going to do a brief discussion of a medication that I have seen used, and it seems, abused. On my unit we often talk about patients that are 'frequent flyers' meaning that they are in and out rather often. Actually, come to think of it, it has been about 6 months since the last time I saw the 2 most famous. One of those most famous, however, has been accused by some of the staff of being addicted to a med that is often used as a painkiller. That med is known as Dilantin, and last night I witnessed it's use again - not on this 'frequent flyer' patient mind you - and that got my brain a-thinkin'.

So, today we are going to talk about Dilantin:

Here, like always, is the organic molecule. I should do a feature of something like Lithium - used as a mood stabilizer - because the molecule would look cool, and it is not organic. I will think about that...
Anyway, Dilantin works by:

In chemical structure, Dilantin (phenytoin) is related to the barbiturates.

The mechanism of action is not definitely known, but extensive research strongly suggests that its main mechanism is to block frequency-, use- and voltage-dependent neuronal sodium channels, and therefore limit repetitive firing of action potentials.

At usual levels, there is little or no change in normal patterns of firing. At high or toxic levels, however, phenytoin can impair the function of healthy neurons.(http://professionals.epilepsy.com/medications/p_dilantin_mechanism.html)

It is interesting how many drugs they are not sure on the exact mechanism of action with. According to this information though, it sounds like Dilantin can be used for anti-epileptic activity. That is interesting. If you have been a follower of my blogs then you understand at least in part, how sodium channels in the body and the neuronal pathways work.


The preceding graphic illustrates, basically, how the sodium channel operates in the human cell. Each cell has a door that will open only for certain materials; usually only ions can pass into or out of cells, by so doing the cell maintains an electrical potential that it uses to carry out chemical reactions essential to it's survival. By adding a med like Dilantin the cells potential is altered in a certain direction which then alters the flow of Na2+ ions and alters how that cell will react. When carried out over a chain of cells and, in this case, neuronal transmitters the ultimate effect is to reduce the repeated firing of that neuronal transmitter and thus reduce epileptic activity or pain.
Any questions?

This has been interesting information for me to gather. I am glad I did Dilantin today, now I know more about it, and I know more about how it works. This fall I have a Bio-Chem course that I am nervous about, but also excited because we will be talking all about this sort of stuff. I still remember the day I read the back of the shampoo bottle and I knew what the chemicals were, and what they did... That was a good day...
But, enough about chemical memory lane, thank you for learning about Dilantin with me.

I probably won't post until next week sometime, and then it will be a fond farewell, (sniff). Oh, I am no good at goodbyes..

No comments:

Post a Comment