Thursday, February 19, 2009

IBUPROFEN TO THE RESCUE!

Strep throat update day 7. So, I am now feeling much better. When I wrote the last blog I was shivering due to fever complications, but now I feel pretty good. After a brief and fairly convenient trip to the doctor we came home with Amoxicillin and some throat spray. That combined with the Ibuprofen I was taking in mass quantities got me through the next few days.

So, as previously mentioned, I have decided to discuss a medication that I used a great deal while sick. After thinking on this for awhile I have decided to focus on Ibuprofen. I used it a lot to keep my fever down and keep me functioning and I have also seen it used post-operatively for pain control.


Here is an organic model of an Ibuprofen molecule:
Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Because of it's non-steroidal effects it does not upset the hormonal balance of the body. Ibuprofen works by inhibiting an enzyme called cyclooxygenase, which in turn inhibits the transformation of fatty acids into products known as prostaglandins. This is what allows the drug to act as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory agent.
Ibuprofen is comparable to aspirin and is usually taken to relieve mild to moderate pain and has even been shown to be effective in slowing the pulmonary decline of those who suffer from Cystic Fibrosis.
(http://www.3dchem.com/molecules.asp?ID=14)

Ibuprofen is an over-the-counter medication and, unlike my previous 'Drug of the Week' feature widely known and used for both adult and pediatric patients.
Despite it's common use though, it is interesting to look at just what it is, and how it works. Even the common stuff has some pretty cool mechanism and history.
Ibuprofen definitely came to my rescue this past weekend.

Thanks Ibuprofen. Thibuprofen

No comments:

Post a Comment