Sunday, February 15, 2009

Can you spare an antibiotic?

The life of a student is not an easy one. Especially if you are working and trying to fulfill Pre-Med classes with a good enough score to actually be considered.

Things get considerably worse when you are sick. It seems that I get ill about this same time every year. I can count at least 3 years in a row when I was sick in the beginning/middle of February. When I lived in Ireland both of my ears got really plugged up with wax for some reason. I have always been able to fight the infection off before, this is pretty much the only time of year when I get sick. After working in a childrens hospital for nearly 2 years I can count the sick days I have taken with one finger.

But, according to www.webmd.com I have strep throat. This one I know I can kick myself, but that will sure not be fun. I am looking forward to later today when I can get to a doctors office and they can give me some of that sweet antibiotic therapy.

It is times like this when I see the true value of medications. This illness will also give me an opportunity to fill out some surveys myself about drugs that I have taken - or will be taking.
I am also grateful for programs like the PPREP program which spread the word about medications and for things like webmd.com.
I had always steered away from those institutions because of the dangers of self-diagnosis, but they can be valuable tools to help the medical professional narrow down your condition.

It is often not just about asking the right questions, but giving the right answers too.

Perhaps my next drug feature will take a change of course and I will discuss antibiotics - they seem to have a bit more timeliness to me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment